We are looking for highly motivated individuals who believe that access to insurance is essential in reducing the vulnerability of low-income populations.
Supervisory secondment opportunity at the Access to Insurance Initiative (A2ii)
The A2ii is a unique global partnership working with insurance supervisors, development agencies, international insurance bodies and local entities with the mission to inspire and support insurance supervisors in promoting inclusive and responsible insurance.
Created in 2009, the A2ii is the implementation partner of the International Association of Insurance Supervisors (IAIS) for financial inclusion and capacity building. The IAIS is the international standard setter of the insurance sector and represents insurance regulators and supervisors of more than 200 jurisdictions constituting 97% of the world’s insurance premiums. The A2ii enjoys the support of numerous partners and sponsors, including the IAIS, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands, the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), FinMark Trust, CGAP, ILO and UNCDF, the Asian Development Bank, the Inter-American Development Bank, FIRST Initiative and Making Finance Work for Africa. The Secretariat of the A2ii is hosted by the German Development Agency (GIZ) on behalf of BMZ.
We develop tools for supervisors to identify knowledge gaps, articulate requests for support and conduct self-assessments on financial inclusion. We work closely with supervisors and our partners to conduct research and produce publications.
To bring greater first-hand supervisory experience to the secretariat and provide an opportunity for supervisors to learn from international best practices in inclusive insurance regulation and supervision, the A2ii is looking for a secondee from an insurance supervisory authority to undertake a 3-month placement at our headquarter in Eschborn, Germany, starting in March 2019.
Objectives of the assignment
- Learn about the work of the A2ii, trends and global discussions around inclusive insurance regulation
- Build networks with peer supervisor from your region and globally through A2ii and IAIS events and the involvement in the work of the A2ii secretariat
- Deepen the relationship between your jurisdiction, the A2ii and the IAIS
- Draw on your own perspective and experiences as a supervisor and actively contribute to the A2ii’s many exciting projects supporting supervisors on developing inclusive insurance markets
- Be part of a dynamic international team
Field of assignment/ Tasks
The exact task will be decided in consultation with the candidate depending on their skill set and experience. However, it might include one of the following tasks:
- Conduct research and draft case study on the use of actuarial work and reporting requirements in prudential and/ or risk-based supervision.
- Work on developing a data reporting template for inclusive insurance business. This should be based on research of different jurisdictions’ approaches.
- Conduct research and draft study on the proportionate application of supervisory practices on an aspect of supervision/regulation such as risk-based supervision, governance, licensing etc. Topic to be decided in consultation with the A2ii secretariat.
- Support the development of a diagnostic tool to help identify potential regulatory barriers to greater availability of insurance products to protect against climate/disaster related risks and support resilience.
- Support the development of the new A2ii-IAIS web-based Self-Assessment Portal (SAP). This tool will enable supervisors to get instant feedback on their performance against individual Insurance Core Principles.
- Other tasks as required.
At least 3 years of professional experience in insurance supervision and regulation
Project management experience
Good communication and drafting skills
Strong organisational and analytical skills
Excellent interpersonal, liaison and cross-cultural skills
Excellent English skills (writing and speaking)
A working knowledge of at least one other language would be beneficial
To apply, please send your CV, a Cover Letter and a note indicating support from your supervisory authority to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, 21 December 2018, CoB.